.:: games.or8.net ::.

welcome to the games.or8.net forums

You are not logged in.

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/gamers/web/forums/viewtopic.php on line 233

#1 2008-03-22 23:37:01

dej
Firefox Salesman

Automate closing multiple processes & services, restarting them again

Sometimes when I play I want to close multiple processes and services to free up some RAM and CPU cycles as well as just to avoid some potential problems. Rather than doing it manually, I use a batch file to do it automatically. Here's how:

Code:

NET STOP "NetLimiter"
NET STOP "O&O Defrag"
NET STOP "Print Spooler"
NET STOP "Windows Time"
TASKKILL /F /T /IM ClipDiary.exe
TASKKILL /F /T /IM Launchy.exe
TASKKILL /F /T /IM Pitaschio.exe
TASKKILL /F /T /IM AVEDESK.EXE
TASKKILL /F /T /IM oodtray.exe
PAUSE

To restart them again when I came back from gaming:

Code:

NET START "NetLimiter"
NET START "O&O Defrag"
NET START "Print Spooler"
NET START "Windows Time"
START "" "C:\Program Files\Clipdiary\ClipDiary.exe"
START "" "C:\Program Files\Launchy\Launchy.exe"
START "" "C:\Program Files\Pitaschio\Pitaschio.exe"
START "" "C:\Program Files\AveDesk\AVEDESK.EXE"
START "" "C:\Windows\system32\oodtray.exe"
PAUSE

Put the code in a text file and rename the .txt extension to .bat (ensure "Hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked in Control Panel, Folder Options). The NET START/STOP is used for processes. To get the exact name, goto Start, Run, and type in "services.msc". TASKKILL is used for regular processes. Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to see the process names. PAUSE leaves the command line window open to verify that the batch file ran successfully. Shout out to google and these sites for showing me the way.

Last edited by dej (2008-03-22 23:49:54)

Board footer